Friday, February 18, 2005

Sitting on the porch

Well, when I called this morning the nurse Kelly was there, because Karen the regular hospice nurse had to go to a funeral for her mother-in-law. Our thought are with her and her family. So I told mom I would just call back.When I called back, mom was sitting on the porch, drinking her coffee. That was such a good change that they made to the house when they added the porch. I remember lots of times I would call & they would be sitting on the porch just enjoying the day/night. The porch also provides mom lots of space for her holiday decorations. But back to today.... Mom said that Kelly said that dad's vitals were good and his pressure sore was getting better, it is granulating nicely. So making dad sleep with pillows under one side or the other is paying off. Dad slept pretty well last night, he was up about 2 and 5 but went right back to sleep.

Today Marian Hoffman is coming to stay with dad, but I don't remember who the 2nd visitor is... so I will have to post that on Monday. I think it is Stan and Shirley Schaaf, but I can't remember for sure.Yesterday afternoon Glen Norton, dad cousin, stopped by as well. His wife, Donna was not feeling well so she didn't come, but that it was nice that he came over. They live outside of Lenox, so it was quite a drive, but at least he had sunshine to make the trip go quicker.Dad told mom that when Jill, from hospice, gave him his bath, he nearly froze to death. So it took him a while to warm up and didn't want to eat much for dinner. He was kind of gagging, but mom did get him to eat some bread before he took his night pills.

Mom did get the pictures sent to Andy of the cakes. The pictures will be small because she puts them in a word document, but you can at least see all their hard work. Yesterday they made an angel food and shortened cake from scratch. She brought them home from school to bake them, because she didn't want to stay late at school. Yesterday afternoon mom was sitting on the back porch drinking her coffee and thinking about how to turn it into a sun porch. That is a project for later this year. She has a list of things to do 1st. The most important is her shop. She is going to convert the area where the chicken house was to her wood shop. The building is coming down, but she will still use the existing concrete, plus adding a little more area to it. Kevin is going to help with the planning of both projects. So I am sure we will have a few work weekends at mom's house this year to get her all fixed up! Which will be fine with me! I am anxious to see how the projects turn out. Andy and the kids are coming from KC this weekend, if the weather cooperates. Danna is headed down tonight and I will also be going down tomorrow. I have to work on Sunday, but Aunt Donna, Uncle Terry and Kathryn are coming up on Sunday. So this weekend the house will be filled with people! Mom said she cleaned the kitchen and only had one thing left to clean, the bathroom. I am sure that she got that done before she left for school. Well think that is about it. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Thanks for checking on dad!

Nic

: )

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your cakes Aunt Carol! - Barb

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home