Thursday, February 03, 2005

I don't know how mom does it.

Seriously, I don't. Last night I stayed with mom and dad overnight to give mom some much needed rest upstairs. This way she doesn't have to worry about dad at all during the night. Well that is in theory. Dad actually slept pretty well. He only woke up once to go to the bathroom, but had a hard time sleeping after that. But until that time I was listening to all the noises from the oxygen machine and everything, it was hard! I wasn't really sure what I was listening for. But once you hear him stirring, you know. Needless to say, I am a bit tired today. But we had a good night.

When dad woke back up about 7:15, I was having breakfast and when I walked into the room, he was calling for "Carol", he was shocked and said, "oh Hi Nic, where's mom?" I told him she was upstairs and asked if he was going to nap some more or if he was ready for oatmeal. He said "oatmeal, I guess" Since I had to leave for work, I had to go wake mom up... But they had a good morning.

Last night I had dinner with mom and dad, then made some chocolate chip cookies. Dad enjoyed one and even told Kirk, while I was on the phone with him, that they were good. :-) That of course made me smile. We watched some tv and mom called her sister Donna, because the flowers from yesterday were from her. They are very pretty and smell great! I am sure mom will look forward to planting the bulbs outside as well, later! Andy and his clan were all sick yesterday with the flu! Yuck. So we didn't get any phone calls to the house till he called just after 10, then Danna called too... so it was a quiet night.

Today Colleen Alley was coming for the early afternoon and then Kim, from hospice was the late afternoon spot. Mom did get to enjoy her coffee and muffin on the porch today, she was very excited that it was so nice out today. I am too, and hope to walk outside later today...

Hope you are all having a great day and thanks for checking on dad.

Nic

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Jo from Steinauer. I just want you to know that I realize all that you are going through. You kids shouldn't have to be exposed to all of this at such a young age, but believe me, you will thank God for all that you were able to do for your Dad, and be so grateful for the times spent. You will remember the good things eventually, and the hurt will go away. Keep supporting your Mom because she needs it - it's great that you are going down so that she can get needed rest. Being the primary caregiver is hard, extremely hard, but I'm sure that God is giving you all the strength you need to get through this. I'm continually told that he doesn't give us more than we can handle, but I also know that there are many times in situations that we question it. I'm continuing to keep you all in my prayers. Tell your Aunt Kathy hi.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home